Practical information for students

Arriving in Novara

  • Essential documents: Visa, Passport or identity card?

EU students:
from 11 April 2007, UE citizens wanting to stay in Italy, must simply own a valid document of identification (identity card or passport) and must show a declaration of presence. ( at a Police office. After three months of arriving in Italy, it is necessary, however, to register your place of residence at the Town Hall, presenting an attendance certificate issued by the Conservatory.
UE citizens do not need to have a residence permit to stay in Italy.

Non-UE Students:
All citizens who are not from UE countries can enter in Italy by presenting a valid passport and, if required, a visa issued by their country of origin.

  • How to reach Novara?
    • By air: The nearest airport to Novara is the Milano Malpensa Airport, which is about 45 km from Novara. You can reach Novara by train (about 2 hours and 20€), bus (about 2 and a half h and about 15€ – see the website) or car (about 40-45 min)
    • By train: the train station is located in the historical centre of the town in Garibaldi Square. It takes about 15 min on foot to go from the train station to the Conservatory, and about 10 min by bus. (for train timetables and tickets see:
    • By bus
  • How to get around in Novara?
    • By bus: Novara is provided with a bus service counting numerous lines that connect all the districts of the city, the neighbouring areas and the surrounding cities (for timetables and bus lines consult the websites: and
    • By bike: in the city there are many bike paths and the possibility to rent bikes
  • Italy is part of the Eurozone and therefore, the current currency is the Euro.

If you need to open a current account at a bank you should go to one of the many banks present in the territory of Bologna and have the following requisites:
– To be at the age of 18
– Not to be filed for bankruptcy
The essential documents are:
– A valid document of identification
– An identifying code number (Codice Fiscale = CF)

Medical Assistance

  • EU students can have medical assistance if:

they have a European Health Insurance Card  (in Italian language T.E.A.M.= Tessera Europea Assicurazione Malattia) issued by the country of origin that allows the student to receive all necessary medical treatments.  If necessary, they can go directly to a General Practitioner (G.P. /doctor) who is operating with the National Health Service (SSN) who can supply the treatment, whether general or specialist or go directly to any hospital located in the area.

they have the E106 Form with this, they have the right to receive a complete sanitary service. The E106 Form is issued by the health authorities of the country of origin. The E 106 form can be requested by anyone who is insured in their own country.

For a period of stay lasting more than three months, it is possible to enrol at SSN presenting the E106 form.

  • Non-EU students can obtain sanitary assistance through:

Applying to the National Health Service (SSN) that supplies complete sanitary assistance at a payment of an annual tax (deadline 31 December).

For serious and unexpected cases, you can obtain help from the” Emergency welfare service” by calling the single European emergency number 112 or the emergency medical of the zone (search the number on the Internet). The “Maggiore” hospital of Novara is located in the city centre (and very close to the conservatory) in Largo Bellini.

What to do in Novara and surroundings?

The city centre has many shops, museums, bars and a city mall.

Milano is quite close to the city (see above).

Arona on the Lake Maggiore is about 40 km far from Novara. You can reach Arona by bus (see website above) and train (see website above) or car.






Orta San Giulio on Lake Orta is about 50 km far from Novara. You can reach Arona by train (see website above) or car.







Stresa on Lake Maggiore is about 60 km far from Novara.